Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Southern Cakes


I've always loved to bake.  While we lived in California, I learned that I really had a passion for baking and now kind of have this NEED to bake.  When we visited Ashley in Andalusia once, she took us to a bakery that had nothing but beautiful cookies.  This lady had created an entire business based on cookies.  Along the way I've decided that maybe I could do the same with cakes.  With some encouragement and help from family, I've decided to try it out over the holidays.  I might decide that I don't even like baking for others.  We're about to see!!

"Southern Cakes by Katie" is official now that I've had brochures printed.  Guess what else???  I have sold my first cake!!!!!  The sweet lady who printed my flyers is purchasing a carrot cake next week for her dad's birthday.  She even asked me to leave some flyers at her printing business!!  I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!  I'm starting very very small.  I'm only advertising a choice of 5 cakes and marketing to a small group.  Who knows if I'll sell 3 cakes or 30?  Regardless, I'm excited to have a project of my own and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes...

5 comments:

Meredith F Middlebrooks said...

Well...what are the 5 cakes??

The Braddocks said...

Sorry for leaving out that very important information. I didn't really figure anybody really cared about that part... :)
Carrot cake, Pumpkin Spice cake, Candy Bar cake, Chocolate Cavity Maker cake, and a Sugar-Free Apple Pie. Sounds pretty good, huh??? :)

Meredith F Middlebrooks said...

Yes, sounds delicious!! How much are your cakes?

The Braddocks said...

The cakes are big three layer cakes and are $30. The pie is $20. Kinda steep, I know, but it truly barely covers my expenses!! I'm making them with natural or organic ingredients and buying them from Kroger - not some bakery wholesaler... Maybe this is too much information and I should've stuck to just the facts.. :)

Meredith F Middlebrooks said...

When you pay for organic ingredients, you are allowed to charge extra. And people will be happy to pay extra! Just as a side note, organic eggs at the grocery store can be very expensive. You might want to see if there is an Amish stand at a market near Hartselle. Their eggs are free range with no chemicals and are usually a lot cheaper. I want one of your cakes now!