Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Baby Braddock

Well... I don't really want to write this post, to be honest.  I've been procrastinating on writing it for awhile.  I've got new information and prayer requests for our sweet baby girl Braddock.  

We have seen two specialists in Birmingham this week who have confirmed that our baby has an AV canal defect - or large hole in the middle of her heart.  She is doing fine now and will continue to be fine until delivery.  Without a miracle, she'll need open heart surgery to heal the hole when she is 1-4 months old.  The defect is correctable and with the surgery, she should grow and develop without any further issues.  

On the other hand, the heart abnormality is another marker for Down's syndrome.  We have chosen not to have the amnio test that would tell us with certainty this diagnosis.  So far she has checks in both columns - the quad blood screen and all other measurements were normal, a check in the "not Down's" box but the heart defect and nucol skin fold are big checks in the "looks definitely like Down's" box.  Scott and I have taken a position of hope for the best, expect the worst and pray for a miracle.  

We know that our faithful and loving Lord is completely capable of healing our sweet baby, if he desires.  We continue to pray (beg) for healing and wholeness but know that regardless of her physical and mental condition, she is perfectly and wonderfully made and the perfect addition to our family.  We are aware that though these diagnoses would not have been our choice for our sweet baby, we are grateful that it wasn't so much worse.  Many other families would pray for our set of possibilities, instead of the reality that they're facing for their own children.  Our baby is a precious gift from the Lord regardless of her chromosome makeup and we are grateful. 

If you would continue to pray for us and our sweet baby, we would be incredibly grateful.  

7 comments:

KJMurphy said...

We will be praying for you, Scott and sweet Baby Girl Braddock in the coming months. We look forward to the arrival of another beautiful Braddock girl!

erika said...

Hey Katie & Scott,
Chance and I have been and will continue to pray! I pray that He will lighten your burden and give you peace these next few months.
Love,
Erika Powell

Darby said...

Katie... I am praying too for your precious sweet little angel. I pray that you will find comfort in Him and I pray that this will increase your faith... as it looks like it already has. He trusts you with this baby... that is HUGE... and what a blessing we know she will be!!

Amy Nunnally said...

Hey Katie,
John and I will be praying for you, your sweet baby, and your big girls. May God continue bless you with His precious peace that passes all understanding!

Love to you both,
Amy & John

Maegan Hill said...

I am thinking and praying for you Katie!
Love,
Maegan
Zephaniah 3:17

Beth said...

Katie,
I have written your family's name in mine and John's prayer journal. We WILL be praying for your sweet baby and all of you!
I wanted to tell you about our nephew. Caleb was born with a heart defect {I'm not sure about the specific name}, but I do remember that he was going to be fine as long as he was in the womb. As soon as he was born, he had a heart surgery and has had 2 more since then. He has just turned 2 years old and is doing wonderfully! They have told them that he will grow up to live a normal healthy life! I also remember that they were faced with the possiblity that he would be Down Syndrome due to the heart defects, but he is not.
God is able to perform miracles! And you know, you are exactly right...this baby is fearfully and wonderfully made and God does NOT make mistakes!!! We will be lifting you up in prayer!
Ephesians 3:20
Lamentations 3:21-26.

Claudine said...

Dear sweet Katie, Scott, Grace, Shelby, and Julia,

I just wanted you to know that we have been praying for you and Baby Braddock and think about you constantly. Not a day goes by without our prayers for you. Thank you for putting your trust in us to share what you are going through and just know that we are all here for you everyday!

I love you very much!! And remember that God never hands us anything we are not equipped to handle. Katie, although you may not think so, you are possibly the strongest woman I know. I have always looked to you as a role model for your strength and total and utmost faith & trust in God. Regardless of what Baby Braddock may go through in the early years and possibly throughout her life, she will be blessed with the most amazing parents who will love and cherish her. God will hold your hands through each and every day of this.

Again, I love you!
Love,
Claudine